Sunday, May 8, 2011

Nancy Narcissus Coffey Nordyke--Happy Mother's Day!

In honor of Mother’s Day a few words about Lewis’s mother, Narrie Coffey Nordyke.

I was always a little in awe of Grandmother, not just because she could wring a chicken’s neck without ruffling her starchy newly ironed apron, but because she had been a pioneer.         
            Narrie (Nancy Narcissus Coffey) was born in 1874 in Dalton, Georgia to Molly (Mary Catherine—Katy, my Catherine is partly named for her) Ferrington and E.N. Coffey, a Confederate veteran of  the Battle of  Chickamauga. When Narrie was small the Coffeys pulled up their Georgia stakes—land was scarce and mostly farmed out—and headed for Texas. As a kid I envisioned the covered wagon, the campfires, the winding road, until one day I asked Grandmother, “What was it like to be on a covered wagon?”
            “I have no idea!” She pulled herself up to her full six feet and said with her usual dignity, “We came on the train.” My vision changed. White gloves were Grandmother’s thing. She wore them to the beauty shop in Baird, to the café downtown; almost anything was worth putting on her good suit and white gloves. Now I saw a parlor car with a little girl in white gloves and a Sunday dress walking down the aisle. Later, I learned they came on an immigrant train sharing a boxcar with their livestock, household goods, and several other families. I can only guess that they wished for the open trail and a campfire.
            I think about Molly, getting onto the train with her youngsters knowing full well that while there would be many letters (wish I could find them) sent with love, likely she would never see her family again. Far as I can tell, she didn’t.
            Narrie grew up in Callahan County, Texas surrounded by Georgia family and friends. But when it came time to fall in love, she picked a sort-of Yankee fiddler from Limestone County who’d come to visit relatives before heading for fiddling jobs in the saloons of Alaska.
Nancy Narcissus Coffey and Charles T. Nordyke
Married in Callahan County, Texas, December 24, 1899.

            On December 24, 1899 Narrie and Charlie Nordyke married. After a brief stint in Limestone County, and, yes, this time they did go in a covered wagon, they lived and farmed in Callahan County the rest of their long lives. Lewis was the middle child and middle boy in the family of seven.

On the farm, probably in the late 1920s.

At the 50th wedding anniversary celebration.
I'm the imp in the jumper planning mischief with
my cousin Charles Reid. (Can't you tell?)
Poor little Paul Gene--the likely victim--is in the middle.
            They retired from the farm (Lewis bought it.) and moved to Baird, the county seat, after 50 years of marriage.















Funny thing I noticed in my paltry collection of photographs. I have several of Charlie alone, but he is in every picture of Narrie. Soon as I get Photoshop up and running, I’ll take care of that! 

4 comments:

  1. Well, I think the Nordykes are such a handsome group...Narrie and Charlie, both. Fun to see them on their 50th as well, since I am wondering how we will look on our 50th coming up. I must get busy with the Photoshop as well. My grands came from Georgia to Texas as well and there was certainly a feeling for proper behavior and attire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the 50th anniversary photo ... that's one of my favorite spots at 2809 Lipscomb! I need to do some research on the Coffeys in Dalton - I was in that neck of the woods this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting how serious your grandparents look in their wedding picture? (Although they are both quite good-looking.) In the olden days people didn't smile at the camera. I wonder when that began to change. There are smiles in the 50th Anniversary photo,
    however. Your grandmother looks quite proud of the three of you. Aren't grandchildren the greatest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, grandchildren of all generations--the greatest indeed. Here's Narrie and Charlie's from but one of their 7 kids. Taite graduates from high school in Charlottesville in a couple of weeks. Forrest finishes Virginia Commonwealth this summer. All are thriving.
    Narrie and her "kids"-- Mother of Lewis, grandmother of Trilla and Nan, great grandmother of Chris, Patrick, Katy, Louann and Scott;great-great grandmother of Forrest, Jack, Taite, Hunter, Dasha, Luke and Anna.

    ReplyDelete