Tuesday, August 30, 2011

In the garden, a home wedding



“Let’s get married at home,” Lewis dreamily wrote to Dottie sometime in 1934. Already he was planning. And they did. I grew up on stories of that home wedding in Amarillo.
            When time for my wedding came, both of them urged me to have a home wedding. “It’s our family’s tradition.” No problem for me. I loved those stories, and I loved our house.
            Dottie and Lewis spend that hot Amarillo summer working hard and successfully to convert the ‘backyard’ to a 'garden.' Just the day before the big day, Lewis and a friend borrowed a ladder and pulled the two swings and trapeze down from our Godzilla-proof swing set. (Dottie had friends who’s kids had over ended there Sears-variety swing set. No way, so she commissioned a three-or-so inch pipe frame and set it in concrete. Like I said, no way Nan and Trilla would go over.) As soon as the swings came down, the fellows from Freeman’s Flowers started decking the frame with ivy and mums. Instant alter.
            On the morning of August 30, 1958, Lewis came down the stairs of the home he and Dottie adored with his eighteen-year-old daughter, Trilla. Another home wedding for the Nordyke family.


Read more about this happy day at
http://trillap.blogspot.com/2011/08/once-upon-time.html, and watch here for more about Lewis and Dottie’s wedding right here on September 1, their big day.

3 comments:

  1. How nice to see a photo of the beloved and respected Lewis Nordyke. Again, you have such style, gracefully linking your arm in his. Behind Lewis is a thick painting on the wall it seems. Tell me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's the arch, it's not a painting it's the door into the dining room at 2809 Lipscomb. (Site of the reception--where I had my first sip of champaign.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trilla, I love this story and I love it that YOU married at home, as did your parents. I forgot to tell you in my comment on the post right after this that MY parents, too, married at home. My father insisted, as for some reason, he dreaded a huge church wedding. Since my grandfather was pastor of the 1st Baptist Church in Waco, if they'd married in the church, it would have been HUGE. I am sure my grandmother was sad about this, but it was the wedding that my dad, anyway, wanted!

    ReplyDelete